Sometimes, you'll be reading a document and a page won't be the way you want it -- it's a table that is on its side, for example. Now you can rotate pages left or right so that it's easy to read what is on each one!
When creating an assignment, you can now exempt specific students from the assignment by assigning the assignment to the entire class except for specific students you select:
Excluded students will not see the assignment in their assignment list and will not receive a score for the assignment.
You can now create quizzes with two new kinds of questions:
- Multiple answerquestions present students with a list of choices and allow them to select oneor moreas their answer. Students receive credit only if they have selected all of the correct choices (and none of the incorrect ones!).
- Mathematical expressionquestions allow students to enter their answers using a graphical math editor. Answers are considered correct if they are algebraically equivalent to the correct answer. (For example, if the correct answer is2x, then enteringx+xwould also count as correct.)
You can now use a graphical math editor to insert mathematical expressions into your comments -- no special knowledge required! When you click the toolbar button to insert math, use the graphical editor to type in a math expression (for example, press
^to go to an exponent, or
/to start a fraction), or use the virtual keyboard at the bottom of the screen.
If you prefer to enter math directly using LaTeX code, you can still do that too! The math editor will stay in sync with any LaTeX you enter so you can see a live preview of the code you type in.
To better enable you to stay in control of the data for your course, you can now easily export the data for your course in various forms:
- Export all of the documents that you have uploaded to the course, in one zip file
- Export a spreadsheet of all student comments across everything in the Library and all assignments
- Export a spreadsheet with all assignment information
- Export an archive of all raw course data for safekeeping, or for conducting research
To get started, click
Export datain the left sidebar of your course home page.
Whether you use Perusall's automatic grading or you grade student work manually, sometimes it is helpful to give the student some additional feedback on their work. You can now add a comment to their score that students can see. To add a comment, click on a score in the Gradebook and then enter your comment beneath the score:
Students will see the score reflected in their
We've rolled out some new tools to make it easier to manage content and assignments in your Perusall courses.
Take action in bulk
You can now select multiple library items and assignments at once to take actions on all of the items at once: use the checkboxes next to each library item in the
Libraryto assign, move, and delete multiple library items at once, and use the checkboxes next to each assignment in
Assignmentsto change deadlines or delete multiple assignments at once.
Recover deleted items
Ever accidentally deleted a library item or assignment? Now you can easily recover deleted library items and assignments -- they'll be visible in a special
Deleted Itemsfolder under
Assignments. Just click
Restoreto bring the deleted item back to your course!
When you use the LTI 1.3 integration, Perusall automatically creates and updates gradebook columns in your LMS for each assignment in Perusall. However, this may not be ideal, particularly when you are creating a template course that gets shared with multiple instructors. Perusall now offers two options for gradebook column management:
- Perusall creates gradebook columns in LMS for each Perusall assignment automatically: Use this option if you prefer to have a single Perusall link in your LMS, or would otherwise like Perusall to create and update gradebook columns for you. When you create or copy in an assignment into your Perusall course, a corresponding gradebook column will be created in your LMS with the correct number of points (and deadline, if supported by your LMS). Deleting the assignment in Perusall will delete the gradebook column in the LMS.
- Instructor creates deep links in LMS; no Perusall gradebook columns will appear in LMS until deep links have been created: Use this option if you prefer to create your own "deep links" in your LMS for students to launch individual Perusall assignments. This option is best for template, master/model, or blueprint courses where one course is replicated multiple times for different instructors. When you select this option, Perusall will not create gradebook columns in your LMS for you. When you create a "deep link" in your LMS to a Perusall assignment, Perusall will sync grades to that gradebook column in the LMS.
When you add a quiz to an assignment in Perusall, you can now view a report of quiz performance across your entire class, including commonly missed questions and common incorrect answers. You can access this report under the
Analyticsbutton within the
Assignmentstab on your course home page.
You can now add questions to quizzes in different formats:
- Multiple-choicequestions with one or more correct answers
- Short answerquestions where students are given a small blank to respond
- Numericquestions with an error tolerance for the correct answer
- Essayquestions where all answers are marked as correct